Peg Townsend, Chair, Voter Service
League of Women Voters Grand Traverse Area
Phone: 231-3 nine two-3 eight 4 seven
The League of Women Voters Grand Traverse Area will hold a meeting To find out about The Campaign for a Fair Voting System in Michigam
The meeting will be held on Monday March 19th at The Right Brain Brewery at 225 East 16th Street, Traverse City.from 5:30 to 7:00 pm.To present the information about the ballot initiative to "Promote The Vote." LWVMI is part of a coalition that is working to get a ballot initiative that will amend the Michigan constitution. Once this initiative passes, the Constitution will:
1. Protect the right to a secret ballot
2. Ensure military service members and overseas voters get their ballots in time for their vote to count. Provide voters with the option to vote straight party ticket.
3. Automatically register citizens to vote at the Secretary of States office, unless the citizen declines.
4. Allow a citizen to register to vote until 15 days before an election by mail or in person. After that citizens may vote in person , with proof of residency up to and day of Election Day.
5. Provide all registered voters access to an absentee ballot for any reason,
6. Ensure the accuracy and integrity of elections by auditing election results.
The League of Women Voters is where hands-on work to safeguard democracy leads to civic improvement.